April 20, 2007

Beware the Shark Pit!


Snapshots In My Time...
Of My Time.....Hauntings.

When I was in college I remember something that happened that I will not soon forget. The fraternity that I was affiliate with had a picnic and day of boating at the local lake. Some of those kids were rich and had their boats at school. We spent the day inntertubing and just zooming around the lake. I was not aware of what boat type it was. It was just a large motor boat. White in color. Well, I held my own on the tube. I never flew off once even when I was airborn when I was hitting wake from another boat. My hands were like glue. I was not letting go. Well, when my turn was over, I was swimming in to get back into the boat.

As a joke, one of the guys said that I needed to hurry. I was near a shark pit. Can we say fear of god? I began to swim like the bionic woman back to shore. Forget the boat. I was getting out of that water fast. I was way out and swam back as fast as I could. I was winded and did not feel so good for about an hour later. It was cruel as I found out later that there could not be any sharks where we were. We were in brackish water on a river that ran into the ocean. Could there be sharks? Could have been. Just never know.

The boat? I had not idea what type. I remember the long process to get it loaded into the water. In the lot hooked to the truck there was a boat cover. I just have no clue what type. This was back in 1981 so I do not think that it was made by taylor made boat covers. Today, if you have a boat it should be one. Boats are the prized possession of some people..heck they even have names. Protecting it is key and a custom fitted boat cover the fits perfectly would be the only option. If you are going to invest money in a boat, you need to protect that investment, but investing in a good boat cover.

A custom cover keeps dirt, animals and bad weather from damaging the boat. Things that are key are a perfect fit, waterproofing, support and a good warranty. Some of the other recommended boat cover features include providing sun protection, reinforcements and a mildew resistant coating. The fit of a cover seems to be very similar to the fit of a good shoe. It must fit perfectly for it to do the best job. If it is too small, you will have gaps that can allow the elements to get it. It it is too big, moisture can collect promoting mold growth if you fold it over.

Once you do get the perfect cover you do have to maintain it. Boat cover care is important. From time to time you need to inspect the cover for signs of wear and tear. You will be looking for rips or small tears that cannot be put off for later. The most common place for a hole or rip to show up is at the corners or along seams. A well made cover will have a double layer of fabric in those areas. In addition, it does need to be cleaned from time to time. Selecting the perfect Taylor made boat cover will give you peace of mind. When your boat is in the slip for long periods of time unattended, it will be safe and snug as a bug in a rug, protected by its custom made taylor boat cover.

My Dislosure Policy

0 comments:

Post a Comment