April 11, 2012

Easters of Yore

Snapshots In My Time...Of My Time.....Hauntings.

Easter is not the same as it was when I was a child.  It is not as special now and does not seem to have the same emphasis that it did when I was little.  When I was little Easter was patent leather shoes and frilly dresses, white gloves and an Easter speech.  The Easter speech was one that your Sunday school teacher gave you about a month before and your mom and dad practiced it over and over with you until you knew it.

Easter was special and I remember shopping for my dresses.  It was an event.  Going to Sears and spending hours trying on dresses to find the exact one.  And the shoes were always black or white patent leather.  There would be church in the morning and in the afternoon we would all come back for the Easter program.  The kids would all say their speeches or at least try too.  Some were so scared they could not talk.  It was a good time with lots of candy and eggs after given to us by our Sunday school teachers.

That was the time when gloves were still worn to church.  I wore them for many years as a child and young adult.  That was the Easter of yore.

Easter now is not so special.  No one says Easter speeches anymore and I have even seen people dressed in jeans of khakis in church.  Those white gloves have long gone by the wayside.  I was lucky.  Some of the Easter that I knew was still around when my daughter was small.  I did get to dress her up in patent leather shoes and she did have an Easter speech to say for about 5 years.  So that was good.  She even wore the gloves.  They were hard to find but I made sure she had gloves for Easter.

The Eater of yore was of a simpler time.  Values were more clear and family oriented. Church was at the center.  Last year was the last year I made an attempt to buy the "Easter outfit" for me and my child.  She is 18 now and we both had nice a nice suit or a dress we wore.  I miss the Easter of yore.  Easter was better then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment